How Many Times Should You Try IVF Treatment?

ivf treatment failure

Coming to the realization that you cannot conceive a child naturally can be devastating. In fact, this realization has ruined many relationships no matter how close the partners were before. With that being said, if you and your partner choose to stick together, there are a few roads that you can take. Of course, adoption is an option, though it is sometimes a troublesome and difficult process. Some couples really want to experience growing a child and bearing it. When conceiving a child naturally is not an option, these couples will often turn to IVF treatments. IVF, or in vitro fertilization, treatments are when sperm is injected directly into the egg outside of the body. Sometimes you can also have the egg be from a donor as well as the sperm. However, IVF treatments are incredibly exhausting in a number of ways. This makes it important to have an idea on how many times you should try IVF before moving onto another solution.

Because IVF treatments are exhausting emotionally, physically, and financially, every person is only going to be able to do IVF a certain number of times. A family that is better off financially will be able to do IVF treatments more often but this doesn’t account for the toll that it takes on your body both emotionally and physically. Likewise, people who are in great physical health might be able to handle numerous IVF treatments but they might not have the wallet to handle it. There are a lot of aspects that go into determining just how many IVF treatments are right for you.

What Do the Statistics Say?

One way to get an idea of how often you should try IVF treatments is to consider what the statistical average is. According to the reported rates of IVF treatments, a woman who is below 40 years of age, is using her own eggs, and is going through a good IVF program has a 70% chance to have a baby within three attempts. This is assuming three things: that she has a good ovarian reserve, that the sperm the woman is using is healthy and motile, and that she has standard and receptive uterine lining. Simply put, a woman who falls under these criteria has a 70% chance to have a baby within three rounds of IVF treatment.

To put this in perspective as to how specific these statistics are, women who are between 39 and 43 years who fall under the rest of the above criteria have about half the chance to succeed within three treatments. This means that these women only have a 35% to 40% chance to successfully grow a baby inside. As you go further past the age of 43, the chances of success drop significantly. Within three tries, there is only about a 25% chance of success after 43. This means that age plays a large role in the success of IVF treatments. However, there is still more to consider when it comes to how many treatments you should try.

Statistics are also important when it comes to the success of IVF treatments. On average, there is a one in three chance that this treatment will work. While that might not be appealing at first, it is important to keep in mind. If you go into IVF treatments with an attitude of giving up if it fails the first time, things probably aren’t going to go well for you. You should expect to undergo IVF treatments two or three times and prepare yourself accordingly.

What About Anomalies?

Anomalies happen everywhere and there isn’t much that can be done to stop them. For example, a woman who falls under the first criteria might not be able to conceive despite the relatively high chance of success. Likewise, someone who might not have the best chances of success might end up being able to grow a child. Because anomalies are something to consider, many places recommend that if you are getting repeated failures, you should consider trying another method. You should always talk to your doctor about the best way to change what you are doing.

If you experience repeated failures with no apparent explanation for why these failures are happening, you should consider the idea that perhaps these failures are not anomalies but rather how it is. For some people, IVF treatments simply aren’t the way to go. Even if you try multiple IVF treatments but you still come to the same conclusion of no live birth, you might want to consider the idea that perhaps IVF treatments are not entirely a good thing for you. While this can be a painful realization to come to, it is important to be able to accept the fact that this is a possible outcome of IVF treatments.

How Many Times Should You Try it?

Since IVF treatments take such a hard toll on the body both mentally and physically, most doctors recommend that you shouldn’t try more than three times without changing something. There are a few things to note about this. For instance, if the reason that IVF treatments weren’t working was an underlying issue that is now successfully remedied, it might be worth it to try the same IVF procedure again, assuming that your body and mind are ready. Another thing to consider when you are repeatedly attempting IVF procedures is the financial aspect. Depending on your health insurance, you will want to be able to budget appropriately for your IVF treatments. If you can only afford one IVF treatment at most, then it might not be the best option as it often takes around three times to work.

It is also important to consider your emotional health when it comes to IVF treatments. Repeated failures can weigh heavily on your shoulders, making it even more difficult for you. When it comes to procedures such as this, you should always look at it with guarded optimism so that the downfalls don’t hurt as much. The first thing you should keep in mind is that any sort of failure to conceive a child is not a reflection on your worth as a person. Taking that kind of mindset is incredibly damaging to everyone around you, especially yourself. Arguably, the most important things you will need while undergoing IVF treatments are patience and a strong support system of friends and family behind you as you work your way through this.